…to the phd.
I submitted my thesis for examination today. But not before:
- getting a flat tire on the way to work yesterday
- my ibook’s hard disk dying, also yesterday, subsequent to which…
- While waiting for my new macbook pro to be formatted (WOO!), I completed the edits on a windows machine, which then…
- crashed, meaning that
- for some reason, the final version of my thesis doesn’t open on a mac
- So I had to borrow a windows machine to do final, final edits and printing
Throughout all of that I was ridiculously serene and faintly amused, which is not like me. I don’t know what’s happened to me really, especially considering I’ve just lost all my emails and word docs since last October, which is when I did my last proper backup (except for my thesis drafts, which I was paranoid about, thank god). I feel more than a little bit silly about being so lax about backing up data. But as for the phd thing, maybe all the external fuck-ups helped me to be less paranoid about my fear of complete failure. Anyway, it’s printed, bound, and officially under examination, 3 years to the day after I started. Which is not a product of my virtuosity so much as it is a product of my clenched-jaw pragmatism, because…
As of today, I’m a postdoctoral fellow in the Centre of Excellence in Creative Industries and Innovation at QUT. More on that later, for now, just a weird surreal feeling. I can’t describe how light and strangely undirected I feel.
But I do have plans for the future, big ones. More after I stop floating.
PS if anyone has any ideas about how I might rescue the word document so that I can actually do the inevitable corrections on my Mac, please, please, let me know.